Monday, July 25, 2005

A corker of a weekend for music...

It all started with The Gay Men's Chorus at the Cadogan Hall on Friday night. Excellent. A fantastic evening - although I managed to blub through the vast majority of the second half. At least I had a good ten minutes of belly laughter in the first half as the chorus gave YMCA its full due. Hysterical. The programme, entitled You'll Do For Now, was "a musical evocation of gay lives in London since 1951". I really didn't know what to expect but it was just fab. I'd recommend you go but it was only on for three nights and the final performance was last night. Unlucky. They are doing a Christmas show in Birmingham, Brighton and London, though, and I for one will definitely be going along. You can check them out at www.lgmc.org.uk - I think that's enough bigging you up now, Ciaran...

Sunday afternoon was a workshop with the astonishing Frank Holder. He's 80 going on 45 and has the energy of a 21 year old. Quite mesmeric - an awesome singer and percussionist who has worked everywhere with everyone and has some amazing tales to tell. His tips and advice are a performance in themselves and as a result are very memorable. The highlight for me was when he got up and traded a few improvised choruses of Straight, No Chaser with me. A total treat and I loved it. Thanks Frank, it was excellent.

And Sunday evening, the stupendous Liane Carroll at the 606, fresh from her success at the BBC Jazz Awards. Fortunately she hasn't changed a bit following her glorious success and was just as funny, witty and brilliant as ever. I didn't realise Donald Fagin's Walk Beneath The Raindrops has 'arse' shouted loudly, a la Father Ted, to introduce the solos. I must remember that. And as if Liane wasn't enough, she got Ian Shaw up to give us a sneak preview of a duet on her new album which is to be released in September. Standard Issue I think she said it's going to be called. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Definitely a best pants moment.

Anyway, enough superlatives. I do get rather carried away and should probably tone down my use of hyperbole. I don't think I overdid it really - they were all that good.

Better go to bed - training session in the morning and I think it's an 'outy'. That's as opposed to an 'inny'. An 'inny' means boxing, running up and down stairs, press ups, squats, lunges and abs things. That might sound bad but it's a walk in the park compared to an 'outy' which is running round the Common - that's Clapham Common. I'm not really ideally proportioned for the longer distance - that would be anything over 100m. I've managed to bolster this body disadvantage by creating a quite remarkable mental block over running. Still, I've got a new word for my exercise - willingness. No point doing something and begrudging it, it only makes it worse. And let's face it, I've lost 8kgs since March and that's not bad. Neil, you're a superstar.

Willingness... a good word for many things I think.

Rx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home